Saturday 2 January 2016

A Canadian Elementary Music A to Z

Thanks to my Twitter friends @JackieSchneider  https://primarymusicmatters.wordpress.com and @DrFautley https://drfautley.wordpress.com for their wonderful A to Z lists that have inspired me to create my own Canadian Elementary Music version. Happy New Year!


A is for ArtsCan Circle 

My favourite charitable organization working to bring music education to mostly Indigenous youth in remote Canadian communities. http://www.artscancircle.ca


B is for beatboxing and bucket drumming!


Grade 5's excited about their upcoming performance



C is for cowbell - if you teach bucket drumming you gotta have more cowbell! 




D is for doumbek 

Wish I had a class set of these Arabic drums. What a great way to welcome Syrian refugee students being integrated into Canadian schools.

My new doumbek on the rocky shore of Georgian Bay


E is for ear learning. 

All musicians need to learn music by ear - notation is way over-rated.


F is for fearlessness. 

Pushing yourself to try new things and letting go of the fear of looking or sounding stupid in front of students is a liberating experience.


G is for grades

 ...wishing every year at report card writing time that I didn't have to give, especially 5 and 6 year olds, an evaluative grade for music class.

H is for harmonica. 

Thank you Mike Stevens for your inspiration.



I is for Indigenous. 

If you teach in Canada you need to educate yourself about Indigenous culture. Follow @WabKinew, read the Truth & Reconciliation Commission Report, go to a workshop by @EddyRobinson   - doing nothing is not a neutral act.

This package came in the mail from my Dad.

J is for the joy of music class.




K is for Katie Wardrobe 

who is my invaluable resource for all things technological in music http://midnightmusic.com.au

L is for Music as a Language 

Thank you Victor Wooten for the best TedTalk on music ever.  L is also for legacy - what do we stand for and what kind of musical legacy do we want to leave?


M is for Musical Futures

Dr. Lucy Green, informal music learning, Find Your Voice and the wonderful teachers that I have met - some exclusively online - in this global MF community have transformed my teaching for the better.

N is for the nae nae and any other dance craze that comes along.


O is for open mic sessions 

Every so often I set up a mic and amp and go around the circle to give students a chance to do their own thing - Kindergarteners love this! You never know what kids can do until you just let them do it.



P is for performance  

Give students opportunities to develop confidence and pride in what they do.

Golden Beats perform their original hybrid beatbox/dance at School Board Meeting 


Q is for quiet

Try Canadian composer R. Murray Schafer's lesson of passing a piece of newspaper around the room without making a sound.
http://www.artsalive.ca/en/mus/greatcomposers/schafer/index.html#teaching_videos.
Listen, listen, listen.

R is for research

I have returned to school late in my career to study a Masters in Music Education (2 courses away from completion!). More work needs to be done to translate good quality Canadian research into practice in schools.

S is for space 

Every Canadian school should have a designated space for music! I didn't realize how important that was until I lost my music room this year. We study sound and we need a place to make it.


My friend Victoria Simpson's music room in Calgary, Alberta


T is for technology

I agree with Jackie Schneider about the iPad - the absolute best tool for teaching music and every school should have a class set.



U is for the amazingly wonderful ukulele! 

James Hill is right (sorry Denise Gagne) - ukes have a strong advantage over the recorder because you can sing while you play. You can listen to their debate here: Should music teachers ditch recorders for ukuleles?

Gr 7 & 8's at rehearsal for Remembrance Day Assembly


V is for variation

My husband also reminds me that V is for vacation!

W is for winter in Canada 

Cold weather means a full music room at recess breaks - kids playing instruments, jamming, writing songs, or just listening to their favourite music.

X is for xylophones 

Every child should have the opportunity to play an instrument.

Y is for saying "yes" to students' choice in their music learning





Z is for remembering to keep it zippy! 

My internal metronome has slowed a bit in recent years, so daily reminders that my students are buzzing at around 130 - 140 mm helps me to keep in sync with them.





No comments:

Post a Comment